Follow Kitcheners ® Kitchens
| Sicilian fish steaks | Salad of sardines | Casserole lamb chops | Canadian fish and mussel | 20Min lamb stew baby vegies | Chicken Chasseur | 2-minute lamb cutlets | Risotto parmesan and peas | Platter of Australian seafood | House salad Cobb dressing | Barbecued baby fish | Caramelised pear pie | AF Chicken sweet chilli sauce | Baby snapper w/Italian salsa | A salad from Morocco | Asian duck slaw | BBQ chicken w/olive salsa | BBQ lamb patties Tzatziki | Big Tex's baby back ribs | Crostini alla Toscana |
A PLATTER OF AUSTRALIAN SEAFOOD WITH LIME & CORIANDER MAYO
- 1 medium red onion, very finely sliced
- red wine vinegar
- dry white wine (optional)
- 1-16 mussels, scrubbed & debearded
- 8 scallops, cleaned, in the shell
- olive oil
- 4-6 calamari tubes, cleaned & very finely sliced
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 3 small green chillies, seeded & finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1¼ cups roughly chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed & drained
- 2 tbsp chopped gherkins
- 2 tbsp chopped anchovies
- 1 heaped tspn chopped fresh tarragon
- 6 heaped tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, quartered
- a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- a small handful of baby basil leaves
- a squeeze of fresh lime juice
- 2 smoked trout fillets, flaked
- 8 small baby beans, blanched
- 1 small handful Italian (flat) parsley leaves
- balsamic vinegar
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 8 cooked prawns
- 8 oysters, freshly shucked
- Soak half the red onion in red wine vinegar to cover for 10 mins. Then squeeze out any excess liquid and toss with the mussels that have been steamed open in either water or white wine. Remove from the shells and set aside to cool.
- Then place the scallops on a large plate that can fit into your steamer. Sprinkle with a little oil, cover and briefly steam. Serve hot or warm.
- At the same time, heat a little oil to smoking in a wok (or large heavy-bottomed non-stick pan) and stirfry the calamari for a few seconds.
- Then add the shallot, chillies and garlic. Briefly stirfry, before adding ¼ cup oil with the cider vinegar and 1 heaped cup chopped coriander. Toss well.
- To make the sauce Gribiche for the mussels, combine the capers, gherkins, anchovies, tarragon and 3 heaped tbsp mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- In another small bowl, toss half the tomatoes with the lemon juice, a little oil and the basil.
- Then combine the remaining mayonnaise and coriander with the lime juice. Place in another small bowl.
- Gently toss the smoked trout, beans, parsley and a splash of oil with balsamic and seasonings to taste.
- To serve, arrange the seafood and trout salad, separately, on a large platter leaving space in the middle for the bowl of coriander mayo. Spoon a good dollop of the sauce Gribiche on the mussels and spoon the tomato and basil salad on the scallops. Enjoy!
© Iain Hewitson