Follow Kitcheners ® Kitchens
| Sicilian fish steaks | Salad of sardines | Casserole lamb chops | Canadian fish and mussel | 20Min lamb stew baby vegies | Chicken Chasseur | 2-minute lamb cutlets | Risotto parmesan and peas | Platter of Australian seafood | House salad Cobb dressing | Barbecued baby fish | Caramelised pear pie | AF Chicken sweet chilli sauce | Baby snapper w/Italian salsa | A salad from Morocco | Asian duck slaw | BBQ chicken w/olive salsa | BBQ lamb patties Tzatziki | Big Tex's baby back ribs | Crostini alla Toscana |
A WARM SALAD OF SARDINES AND BABY POTATOES
- 8 baby potatoes, peeled
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- olive oil
- 2-3 rindless bacon rashers, sliced
- 12 sardine fillets
- olive oil spray
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- vegetable oil
- 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 heaped tbsp snipped chives
- a good handful of cress
- Preheat overhead grill to highest degree.
- Cook the potatoes in lightly salted, boiling water until just tender. Drain well and slice, when cool enough to handle.
- Then heat a little olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and gently sauté the potatoes until golden on both sides, adding the bacon after turning.
- Place the sardine fillets on an oven tray, skin side up. Spray with oil, season and cook under the overhead grill.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk the vinegar with the garlic and mustard until well combined. Then add equal amounts of olive and vegie oil, little by little, to reach dressing consistency.
- Put the tomatoes and chives in a large bowl, together with the potatoes and bacon, and gently toss with the mustard vinaigrette to taste.
- Mound the salad in individual bowls (or on plates) and top with the sardines, a sprinkling of dressing and a little cress.
- Serve with good crusty bread on the side.
© Iain Hewitson