Follow Kitcheners ® Kitchens
| Sicilian fish steaks | Salad of sardines | Casserole lamb chops | Canadian fish and mussel | 20Min lamb stew baby vegies | Chicken Chasseur | 2-minute lamb cutlets | Risotto parmesan and peas | Platter of Australian seafood | House salad Cobb dressing | Barbecued baby fish | Caramelised pear pie | AF Chicken sweet chilli sauce | Baby snapper w/Italian salsa | A salad from Morocco | Asian duck slaw | BBQ chicken w/olive salsa | BBQ lamb patties Tzatziki | Big Tex's baby back ribs | Crostini alla Toscana |
AF CHICKEN WITH SWEET CHILLI SAUCE
- 150 ml salt-reduced soy sauce
- 100 ml Mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 4 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- caster sugar
- 1 tspn sesame oil
- 12 chicken thigh fillets, halved crossways
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 small red chillies, seeded & finely chopped
- ¼ cup drained crushed pineapple
- 150 gm plain flour
- 50 gm potato flour
- 50 gm cornflour
- 4-6 cups vegetable oil for frying
- To make the marinade, whisk the soy, Mirin, 3 tbsp ginger, garlic, seasonings, 1 tspn caster sugar and sesame oil until well combined in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken, toss well and set aside for up to 30 mins.
- To make the chilli sauce, put the white vinegar, 140 gm caster sugar and ½ tspn salt in a pot. Gently bring to the boil and cook for about 2 mins until the sugar has dissolved, whisking now and again.
- Then add the garlic, chillies, 1 tspn grated ginger and the pineapple. Stir well and briefly cook. Taste for seasoning and set aside.
- Combine the flours in a large bowl. Then dust the chicken with the flour, shake off any excess and deep fry in reasonably hot oil until golden brown all over, being careful not to overcrowd the pot. Drain well on kitchen paper towels.
- Serve the chicken with the sweet chilli sauce in a small bowl on the side.
- nb. The chilli sauce can be made beforehand and served cold or hot.
© Iain Hewitson