Follow Kitcheners ® Kitchens
| Sicilian fish steaks | Salad of sardines | Casserole lamb chops | Canadian fish and mussel | 20Min lamb stew baby vegies | Chicken Chasseur | 2-minute lamb cutlets | Risotto parmesan and peas | Platter of Australian seafood | House salad Cobb dressing | Barbecued baby fish | Caramelised pear pie | AF Chicken sweet chilli sauce | Baby snapper w/Italian salsa | A salad from Morocco | Asian duck slaw | BBQ chicken w/olive salsa | BBQ lamb patties Tzatziki | Big Tex's baby back ribs | Crostini alla Toscana |
RISOTTO WITH PARMESAN & FRESH PEAS
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup risotto (Arborio) rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 litre hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 1-2 cups fresh peas
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pot and gently sauté the onion and garlic until just coloured.
- Add the rice and continue cooking, stirring until translucent.
- Then add the wine and seasonings. Stir and cook down until the liquid almost disappears. Turn down the heat and add the hot stock, a cup at a time once absorbed, over a medium heat, continually stirring. Then add the peas and cook until the rice is just tender. Taste for seasoning.
- Add 3/4 cup grated parmesan, with a little more stock if needed (should be slightly 'soupy'), and gently cook until the cheese has melted.
- Serve the rice with a little extra parmesan, if you like, and the parsley sprinkled on top.
- nb. Frozen peas can be used, but add at the end.
© Iain Hewitson